Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How do I register on the resident portal?
How do I report a problem or concern in a common area?
You can report common area concerns by emailing, or by calling (425) 836-1064, extension 5.

For common area after hours emergencies call (206) 669-8827. IMPORTANT! This number is for common area emergencies only, if used inappropriately, you may be charged for the service.

King County Sheriff: For 24-hour non-emergency services please call 206-296-3311.

If you need immediate help from the police, medics, or fire department, always call 911.

Click here for the King County Sheriff’s Office Department website

To report vandalism after the damage has occurred on common area property, please email, or call (425) 836-1064, Extension 5

How do I reserve a park?

Aside from the Community Center park and playground, All Redmond Ridge ROA owned parks are open to members of the association only. Every member can use the park during park hours. Other than the rental of the Community Center, we do not rent or reserve parks for private events. If you want to have a party at one of our parks, you can use the facilities on a first-come-first-serve basis, however you may not block or restrict access to other park attendees.

Please remember that trash cans are for regular park use only – excess trash from parties or other events must be hauled out by the party. Please remove any decorations and take ALL trash with you to dispose of at your house. Excess trash left at parks can attract animals and cleanup fees could be assessed to the party responsible for the mess. Thank you for your consideration!

How do I report a concern with a tree on common area property?

Email your concern with the location to If the tree is located on ROA property, staff will request an inspection from the associations arborist.

Who plows snow in Redmond Ridge?

The Redmond Ridge ROA DOES NOT plow the streets when it snows! The roads are owned and maintained by King County and only their crews have the knowledge and authority to clear the roads in and around our area. If you have questions regarding snow removal on public streets, please contact the King County Road Helpline at 206-477-8100.

More Winter Weather Resources:

King County Emergency Sign up for ALERTS and learn about emergency preparedness and response for hazards including earthquakes, flood, landslides, utility outages, winter storms and more.

King County Winter Weather Weather alerts, school closure lists, and more.

Regional Animal Services of King Learn how to keep your pets safe during a disaster.

Puget Sound Get weatherization and energy saving tips from Puget Sound Energy.

How do I report a street light outage/problem?

You can report the outage directly to Puget Sound Energy here.

You can also email

What do I do if I notice an abandoned vehicle in the neighborhood?

You can call the King County Abandoned Vehicle Hotline at 206-205-0969. Be prepared with the vehicle license plate and description.

How do I make payments?
If I am having a problem with a neighbor for a violation of the Policies and Guidelines, what can I do?

If residents cannot resolve a situation between themselves, then turn to your Association. Should you have a situation that does not appear to be resolved through neighborly means, and you are willing to actively participate in the enforcement provided by the Policies and Guidelines, you may email with a description of the violation and the address of the alleged violator.  All of your information will remain completely confidential. If the situation is deemed in violation of the Policies and Guidelines, the Board of Directors will institute the enforcement policy. Your continued assistance may be required.

Who is responsible for what in Redmond Ridge?

Download the Responsibility Chart to learn about the obligations of the ROA vs. owners/residents.